Each session is filled with stimulating, energetic activities interspersed with quieter activities. The stimulating and energetic activities provide your children with generous opportunities to release pent-up energy and reduce any stress that may accompany the divorce. The quiet and calm times allow your children to process the information presented each week.
The schedule below provides an example of a typical week.
GREETING TIME — 15 minutes
- Herby’s Feelings Poster: How do you feel today?
- Activity Book: Family Word Search
- Group Project: What We’re Good At art collage
- Self-Serve Snack: Individual snack or eating with a friend
OPENING CIRCLE TIME — 15 minutes
- Music: “Herby Rap”; “If There Were Two of Me”
- Welcome: Activity
- Alphabet Stretches and Scripture
- Group Game: Have You Ever?
- Topic Introduction: From “This Week’s Goals” in DC4K Activity Book
- Song, Scripture and Prayer: “You Are My Hiding Place”; Psalm 32:7
KIDS LIKE ME DVD DRAMA — 15 minutes
STORYBOOK TIME from Stories for Kids in Divorce — 15 minutes
- Reflection, discussion, interaction
BATHROOM BREAK — 5 minutes
SMALL GROUP INTERACTION — 20 minutes
- Activity Books: People in My Family and Divorce Word Search
- Journaling: Some Things Help You Feel Safe
- Art Project: Ping-Pong Blow (painting)
- Breaking Bread: Find a friend and eat together
- Treasure Box: Decode a Scripture and place in personal Treasure Box
FOCUSING ACTIVITY — 10 minutes
- Group Activity: Name Game
- Music: “Nothing Will Separate Us”
STORIES FROM THE BIBLE ON DVD — 15 minutes
- Process concepts through group discussion
CLOSING CONNECTION CIRCLE — 10 minutes
- Devotion and Demonstration: Staying Connected and Energy Ball
- Prayer Time: Pray for each other in the group
- Music Closing: “United in Love”
- Parent Page: Hand out to parents
Want your children to become part of an exciting DivorceCare for Kids group near you? Start your children on the road to healing today!