“Am I ready to lead DivorceCare for Kids?”
It’s a question every potential leader should ask. And to help you determine the answer, here are a few of the best indicators you are ready to lead a DC4K group.
- You have a desire to help children heal from the pain of divorce and separation by connecting them with the resources God offers to help them heal.
- If you are divorced, you should be a minimum of two to three years beyond the date your divorce became final.
- If you are divorced, you demonstrate that you’ve healed from the divorce, as evidenced by little need to talk about the events surrounding the divorce. You also have reached the point where you’ve forgiven your ex-spouse for anything he or she did to hurt you and you’ve asked for forgiveness for any hurt you’ve caused others through the process of your divorce.
- You are active in your church. This is evidenced by regular church attendance, and possibly participation in other church ministries.
- You demonstrate spiritual growth in your life. This growth is evidenced by regular prayer and Bible study, consistent church attendance, and perhaps involvement in other church ministries.
Don’t decide alone
We strongly recommend the above indicators be true of you BEFORE you lead a DC4K group. And don’t determine your readiness in isolation. Involve others. Ask a leader in your church if he or she thinks you demonstrate the above characteristics.
What if you’re not ready?
Don’t worry. It’s still possible for you to have a DC4K ministry at your church. Here are two suggestions:
- Ask someone else to spearhead the ministry. There are likely other people in your church who’d love to lead a DC4K ministry. You can serve as a helper or other “Safekeeper” role, or help with more behind-the-scenes responsibilities until you’re ready to lead.
- Wait until you’re ready. Now this may be hard, especially when you think about those who’d benefit from DC4K. But if you lead when you’re not ready, you’ll do more harm than good. So, wait. In the meantime, try to find a DC4K group you can assist in. If you can’t, give us a call. We’ll give you other ideas.